So before I push off to make a Thankgiving Masterpiece of a meal, I wanted to let you know “WHATS HOT” going into the Thanksgiving Holiday.
With Hurricane Sandy and its effects slowing down the interview cycle to a crawl, the expectation for interviewing to be not only hot but On Fire is very high. Next week is going to be extremely busy. Most of my hiring managers and friends in Human Resources are relaying that the scheduling frenzy will begin middle to end of next week.
So with that in mind, I wanted to make you aware of what are hot opportunities for the end of year hires.
- Security ( not only network, but holistic hands on Security Architects)
- Virtualization ( Hands on Architects, as well as Engineers)
- Windows ( Systems Architects)
- Desktop Engineers ( looking for someone that is extremely hands on)
- Linux ( System Architects)
- Network ( High Level Engineers and Architects)
- Windows Systems Managers ( Operations and Engineering – Need to be SME’s)
- Management:( Infrastructure, Had of types managing 100-160 people)
- Management:( Networks – Operations & Engineers)
- Application Architects:(Hardcore Java SOA – Hands on Developers)
- Product Managers:( Ifrastructure focused )
What are Not in Demand:
- Administrators:( Windows, Linux, Market Data, Database, Network )
- Market Data Engineers:( Tese are usually seasonal )
- Business Continuity/DR: ( There has been a dry spell here for a while )
While sitting arond the dinner table with family, the subject of work always comes up:
“How are things at work?”
“Have things gotten better at work?”
“Have you had any promising opportunities?”
Its the nature of family gatherings…. these comments come right before “How are the kids? & "So when are you going to have some kids?”, but usually right after “Can you believe how bad the Jets have been playing???!?!?!”
Either way, the market is looking to be hot going into Christmas, now is the time for selfreflection when it comes to your career. Many of the major investement firms are not only stating…. but SHOUTING that they are going to layoff thousands of workers. You have heard the saying a million times,
‘The Best Time to Find a Job, is When You Have a Job’
So gather your resources, go on a couple of interviews just to see what is out there and be proactive about where YOU TAKE YOUR Career.
Just some friendly observations and advice from me to you for the Thanksgiving holiday. Take it for what it is worth. I am always a phone call or an email away.
Director, Executive Management & Technology Division