Quantitative Trading Firm #015
A typical day in the life of a Database SRE could look like:
· Scaling and productionizing classic DBs such as SQL server, mariaDB, and Postgresql
· Scaling and productionizing data lake technologies like Trino and Kafka
· Setting up a new system like Pinot, Druid, Dremio
· Design, build, and maintain database infrastructure across multiple database types and use cases, from globally distributed trading infrastructure to large-scale research.
· Install, configure, and scale databases and big data analytics solutions for large-scale research
· Investigate and improve performance of queries and supporting infrastructure (Debian and Windows)
· Build proofs of concept to test out new solutions
· Build out a team to improve database management company-wide
· 5+ years of experience working in database management and infrastructure engineering
· Familiarity with state-of-the-art DB technologies and tradeoffs: distributed DBs, time-series DBs, relaxed consistency models, columnar storage
· Knowledge and experience with Linux or Windows, must be comfortable using Linux/UNIX command line tools
· Extensive experience with at least one of: MySQL, Postgres, Yugabyte, SQL Server, CockroachDB, Trino, Kafka
· Solid scripting, performance troubleshooting, and networking knowledge
· Experience wrangling a documentation-heavy technical problem. Not about coming up with a good algorithm, but rather figuring out how to glue pieces together and which pieces are the right ones
· Interest in diving into the JVM GC, AWS and baremetal performance benchmarking, etc. We don’t necessarily need someone who knows these things, but someone who would be able to dive in to their research and come back with some workable solutions.
· Exceptional communication skills – this role will require cross-collaboration with various stakeholders.
· You are resourceful, have a sense of urgency, and are motivated to make things better and to al